gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 2005 Touareg v8 with a strange issue with my bank 2

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Touareg v8 with a strange issue with my bank 2 driver cam adjuster. It makes noise/has slack when Cam adjuster status is off (monitored in vcds block 90) but when on it is fine. I have verified this behavior with a power probe by feeding 12v directly to adjuster. I have also plugged in a oil presure gauge at the set screw on the front of the head and have 70psi with the adjuster on and off. Originally it had a failed adjuster, I changed it with a used adjuster and got this behavior, thought it was a bad adjuster so bought a new one from VW -same behavior!! I am thinking something is blocking a passage or something from the old broken plastic cam adjuster shoe but dont know where it would go.
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Check for any issues with the cam shaft itself or possibly an issue with the timing components like timing chain guides being worn or damaged in any way.If a fault is found this can cause this type of issue here and would need repaired.If this is or was checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but I am looking for a Vw specific mechanic and expert. Your reply is very general and unsatisfactory. I already mentioned I changed the cam adjuster twice, most recently with a brand new Oem adjuster. The chain is slacked when adjuster status is off but tightens up and has no issues when adjuster status is on. This has beenconfirmed in block 90 and also again by feeding 12v directly to the adjuster. I am wondering if there is a diagram for oil passages from pump to head, and if maybe an oil retention valve or other blockage is possible

O.k. no problem.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

How many teeth set up between the marks when installing this tensioner?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
15 links between the 2. I triple checked and followed the Bentley picture as well as some online pics. I know it's correct because I have done a lot of v8 and v6 tensioners - also vcds blocks 90/93 confirm my correction factors are 0/0
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

There are supposed to be 16 rollers between the marks (counting the rollers that line up with the marks as well) And only one cam has a sensor on it, so that one might be lined up properly with the crank, but the other would be off a tooth.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to get into an argument but it's 15. It depends on what exact point you start and finish counting from and the marks don't line up exactly but I'm confident I did it correctly bc I have no incorrect correlation codes or any cam codes at all, vcds measuring blocks 90-93 show my correction factors are 0/0
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Here is a diagram from Alldata, I'm sure it is comparable to what you have since it is sourced from the Bentley

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

The marks on the camshafts should line up exactly with the marks on the bearing caps. The #1 roller will be the one that lines up directly with the mark, and #16 will line up directly with the other mark.

You can have a perfect crank/cam allocation because the crank is lining up perfectly with the exhaust cam (which has the cam sensor on it) but you could theoretically offset the intake cam as many teeth off as you want and it will never show up on a value block, because that cam has no sensor on it.