gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 98 beetle tdi. The power windows, power mirrors,

Customer Question

I have a 98 beetle tdi. The power windows, power mirrors, interior lights, remote lock and unlock, blower motor, and radio do not work. The air bag light and rear hatch light on the dash are on. When I replace fuse 14 the rear hatch pops open. Any ideas? Also the switches on the drivers side door panel have light when the headlights are on but the passage side swith don't light up.
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you have had any after market components like an after market remote start or alarm system installed the wiring for it or the control unit that controls the after market system may be damaged/shorted causing this here as I have seen these cause electrical faults before.If you do have any after market component wired in I would see if it is wired back out of the vehicle temporarily putting vehicle wiring back to factory if this corrects the fault.If it does then the after market ecu most likely needs wired in differently or replaced.If you do not have any after market components installed at all let me know so we can continue from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything in the vehicle is stock. There hasn't been anything added or removed.

O.k.,unfortunately with all of the electrical issues occuring here this is a difficult one for me to answer myself here.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

It sounds to me like your comfort control module is the focus for this- usually fuse 14 pops when the dome light shorts out, but I'm thinking since you said the hatch pops, you may need to remove the trim cover on the inside of the hatch, and check the connector at the trunk latch. Often they get moisture and corrode pretty badly there.

Let me know either way and we can continue if necessary.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will pull the cover on the hatch tomorrow evening and see what I can find. I was going to pull the door panel and remove the connection from the remote switch for the hatch and see if I can eliminate the hatch issue that way. Then put a 10 amp fuse back in number 14 to see if that corrected the issue. Then I would know if it has to do with the hatch. Would the battery terminals need to be removed and discharged to reset the comfort module?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

no, not just if you are disconnecting the latch or a module.

note that the drivers door illumination is direct from the headlight switch, but the other doors are illuminated through a signal from the comfort module, that is why the other switches are not lit.