gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 2004 Jetta 1.8 T. My dash lights have going off and

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Jetta 1.8 T. My dash lights have going off and on periodically. Also my car shuts down from time to time. Can you tell me what could possibly be wrong? Sometimes I get the yellow triangle with exclamation indicator light.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Dash lights- do you mean just the illumination that comes on with the headlights, to backlight the dash at night?
If you have any kind of dash warning light, it should set a fault in one or more of the control modules. Some large parts stores will scan faults for FREE, but most have just a generic scanner that will only read the engine- anybody with a Snap-On or other good scanner will be able to read the other modules like the ABS.

Since your issues don't seem to be other wise connected, I would start out checking your battery cables- make sure they are clean and snug- and inspect the main ground points in the engine bay and in the cowl area near the ECM, you can clean them up with some emery cloth and apply dielectric grease