rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

2000 VW Passat trunk will not open. It makes a sound when i

Customer Question

2000 VW Passat trunk will not open. It makes a sound when i press the release. When I turn the key nothing happens. Cannot gain access through back seat becasue of metal barrier. Sny Idea how to open?
Category: VW
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

It sounds like the lock/striker has failed. Try pushing down on the trunk when turning the key, then lifting. If this doesn't work, I'm sure any body shop can get it open for you for free or next to free.

Thanks, Ron