gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

2012 VW beetle with keyless start button. Steering column is

Customer Question

hi there
2012 VW beetle with keyless start button. Steering column is locked up - warning comes up.
I get cluster lights on but engine does not start up.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

hold the key up near the start button- the system needs to get the signal from the key to the wireless node, putting it close to the antenna can help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just tried that and it did not work, there were additional warning messages coming up - air bag, brake system, and of course steering column locked. SERVICE NOW!
And, when I got out of the car I could not get it to lock using my key fob.
I cannot even move it with the engine not starting up.
I had the battery in my key fob replaced probably 6 mos ago. That should not be the problem.
I am frustrated, do you have any other suggestions? I was thinking about calling roadside assistance thru my auto insurance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dead battery!! Yay! I can fix that! :)
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Did roadside assistance come out?

Do you arm your alarm when you leave the vehicle overnight, or do you park it in a garage unlocked? (car unlocked, not the garage!)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
roadside assistance came out. He jumped started it and we let it run for a while, I will be taking it to get the battery replaced in a few minutes. (hopefully as long as it starts back up!)
I do not have a garage to park in, so it is parked outside and yes I arm it by clicking my alarm on my key fob.
Its a 2012 but I bought it about a year ago. Roadside assistance said the battery was the factory original. So it was about that time, batteries in Texas typically last 3 yrs or so.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

OK, same with here in MN- we both swing widely between really hot and really cold (I never expected it to snow when I lived in Arlington TX!)