vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Max, I have a 2001 vw golf. It has a rough idle. I just

Customer Question

Hi Max, my name is***** have a 2001 vw golf. It has a rough idle. I just replaced all the injectors and still has a rough idle. Any ideas??
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

did you do a compression test ? have you removed the valve cover to inspect the cam and lifters if there was any damage like a flat cam or a lifter worn through ?

please let me know

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I have not removed the valve cover to inspect the cam and lifters. I can do that if that's what you would recommend?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Got to find out. Please do

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. I will let you know. Thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wolfgang, let me ask you this. Before I take the valve cover off, I wanted to run something by you that seems strange. I just determined that the car idles rough until you turn the A/C on. When you turn the A/C on, the idle smooths right out and stays that way. You can turn the A/C on and off while the car is at an idle and listen to it go from a rough idle to a smooth idle. Does this tell us anything??
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

the load change . lets do this clean the grounds at the frame rail near the battery and under the cowl should be grounds and the retest

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. Thanks. I will keep you posted.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks and my pleasure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Back to the drawing board. I cleaned the grounds under the battery box and in the cowl. Appears to have made no difference. Car runs the same. Idles good with A/C on. Idle rough with A/C off. What would be the next step?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

i do need a vin # ***** the vehicle please thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vin# *****
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

let me see what can i find .

last thing did you perform a scan test to see if there were any faults stored in the engine control module?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
vin# *****