vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

My vw golf has failed to start multiple times but after

Customer Question

my vw golf has failed to start multiple times but after adding extra oil it will than fire up and cel light will go off on its own after 2 days of driving
Category: VW
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.

When you say add <extra oil> ,you mean get it at the right level ?

This engine has hydraulic lifters ,if the oil is low the lifters will not open the valves and the engine will not start.

Most likely you have an oil leak or the engine is burning oil.

Good luck .

Let me know.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no oil is at full mark, no oil light on and when i have added extra oil it starts right up last time it took the level a little over 1/4 inch above full
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Have you scan he engine computer to see why the check engine light comes ON ?

Does the car start all the time after you had the oil or for how long do yu have to wait to have the same no start problem ?

thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cel will go off in 2days on its own. This has happened 6 or more times with a spread of about 2 to 3 weeks. No oil loss in that time and about 50 to 100 miles of driving.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

I would recommend to scan the engine computer when the check engine light come on.

Also when it does not start ,just remove the oil cap and try to star it , this is not a very common problem ,wonder if your pcv system is clogged up and is giving you this problem.

Getting the trouble code would be a good help,if you don't have an OBD2 scanner ,just stop at any major auto parts store and they will scan it for you at no cost.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the following codes came up since I got it running, are P0261, P0267, P0270. P0264, P0445, P0037, and P0418
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Hi there...sorry for the wait ...

All this P0261,64,67 and 70 are related to fuel injectors , the most common problem is the fuel injector relay,special when they come all together.

The P0455 is for large evap leak ,it does not affect your engine performance and you will need to smoke the evap system to find the leak but before that ...make sure the gas cap is tight.

P0037 is for the O2 sensor ,down stream ,this is the second one, towards the back of the vehicle ,once is for the heater circuit ,you will need to replace the sensor.

The P0418 is for the secondary air system ,you will need to check the system ,make sure all the hoses are connected and if the pump is working ,a good scanner would be a very good help.

Good luck.

Let ,me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clear all the codes and replaced the fuel pump. All problems solved.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Good job...

Hope the check engine light does not come ON ,with codes P037.P0455 and theP0418 ,they have nothing to do with your fuel problem.

Thank you for replying.

Good luck.