gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

My daughters 2004 passat will only go in reverse. It goes a

Customer Question

My daughters 2004 passat will only go in reverse. It goes a little in drive but makes bad sounds
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Does it show the correct gear selected on the dash, or is the whole PRNDL display "darkened out"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the PRNDL is all lit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you reply?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

OK- the transmission control module has a fault. The common issue with this model is water under the floor, from the sunroof drains or the pollen filter housing.

If you slide the seat all the way back on the passenger side, and remove the trim panel at the door edge, you can slide your hand under the carpet and feel for moisture. You can grab the black plastic box under there and slide it fotward, and pull it out from under the carpet (the wiring is long enough to reach) open the box and see if water has gotten insid3, check the connector for corrosion