sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 1999.5 vw jetta vr6 and I'm having intermittent

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 1999.5 vw jetta vr6 and I'm having intermittent stalling problems that have gradually gotten worse. Now the car will start and run for a few minutes and die. No specific pattern, but then when I try to start it I will have to wait a while before it will start again.
I've checked the fuses that relate to the engine and also checked the codes, no code stored. Before this I replaced the crankshaft position sensor due to a p0322 code but still no luck.
Yesterday I removed the battery and cleaned the three grounding points, that seemed to work so far but I'm afraid to go far and get stranded. I've also read that there are some grounds under the windshield wiper cowling next to the ECM.
My question is are there any other grounding points that I might check or is this not relevant to my problem?
Thanks Al
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, when engine stalls, clock goes to 12:00 while attempting to restart as if the battery was disconnected. Battery not going dead I can continue to crank engine after letting the starter rest.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it's dying and not restarting for a period without setting codes then I suspect either the engine controller is going down or you're losing fuel pressure.

Have you checked for scan tool communication with the ECM when this happens?

Have you checked spark and fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't checked the fuel pressure or spark assuming that's not the problem due to the fact that the car will continue to run and when it shuts down by the time I try to check it's back to normal. As I've stated before, no new codes are stored . Now that I've messed with the grounds under the battery, it hasn't failed but I only ran it for an hour. I have yet to take it on a long run.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I suspect that I'm losing power to the ecm. Is there a relay or grounding point I should check out?

If the engine is dying you're either losing spark or fuel pressure or both. You said that you have to wait for it to restart, that's when testing needs to be done.