Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

When I put key into ignition and push it in to start it

Customer Question

when I put key into ignition and push it in to start it takes about 3 to 4 tries before it turns over.
2009 vw passat wagon 80,000 miles
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please feel free to text me response or questions xxxxxxxxxxx
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

when you put the key in and it does not respond does the dash lights power up and the warning lights ? is there any message shown in the middle display of the dash?

please let me know!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lights come on as normal
, just seems to have a hard time starting . No other messages come on in center panel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no message light. all dashboard lights come on as normal, car has trouble turning over. if i keep pushing in key it eventually turns over
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok the next step is to tag a test light to the small wire of the starter and that light should light up when the key is pushed in. if lights up and no starter activation then you will need a starter. if not then more diagnosis will be needed . please check if you get the light on but no starter activation

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know anything about cars .. Not sure I would kno how to do that . I hear the starter trying to start .. It's just not catching , when it should
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

OK first thing is to check if the battery is good and fully charged. with a discharged battery it will try but with not enough juice it will not turn over. being it is a 2009 and if you haven't replaced the battery now is the time . expected life of a battery is about 5-6 yrs.