gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

2003 vw.golf gas motor. When starting the car tachometer and

Customer Question

2003 vw.golf gas motor. When starting the car tachometer and gas gauge flutter for 30 seconds before going to normal ?
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Do you get any other symptoms when you are driving? Try checking at some of the connectors in the engine bay. Start out by checking the fluid level sensor in the coolant reservoir, I have seen coolant push through this connector and seep through the wiring harness and cause issues with the cluster and the fuel sending unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All is good with the fluid sensor and other connections that I could see what next?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

In that case, I would check the backside of the cluster itself, at the connectors. Barring any issues there, I would suspect the cluster itself is bad. On some of the older (pre-99) clusters you could go in and check some of the solder joints to see if they had lost connection, but the newer clusters have such tiny solder joints I don't know if it is possible without specialized soldering tools like a jeweler would use (and you would likely need a magnifying glass to inspect the solder joints as well)