peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

Volkswagen Beetle TDI: we have a 2013 Beetle TDI Convertible

Customer Question

Volkswagen Beetle TDI: we have a 2013 Beetle TDI Convertible and tonight my wife couldn't get it started. We tried jumping it, but it looks like the issue might have to do with the keyless ignition. Lights are turning off and on randomly both in and out of the car, and when it does seem like it's going to start, all lights shut off and there's a clicking sound in/near the steering column. Pretty regularly getting "keyless defective" message. Had a hell of a time even getting it into neutral to get it towed. Never had a problem with this car - now we can't even get the windows to go all the way back up (which miiiight be good considering if the windows go all the way up and stay there we can't get the doors to open. A little poking around on the internet suggests this might be something as simple as some loose wires. Ideas?
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

On some models if the electronic ignition switch fails or acts up or the electronic steering lock itself fails or acts up this will cause this issue here.If these have not been checked or tested at all this needs done and if one is found to be at fault the affected component needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Pete - more information in case it helps. It seems like the car thinks the engine's running when it's not. Headlights will come on dimly then fade out randomly. Sometimes when you open the car the dome lights come on, sometimes not. If I try to start the car, it sometimes displays the "depress brake to start car message" (and then all the electronics shut off when I do so), and this morning when I tried again to said "Ignition On!". When I walked away a fan started running under the hood, which typically doesn't happen unless the vehicle is running. Was able to get that to stop, but again it doesn't even reliably put the windows all the way up when I close the doors (closing the "gap" at the top, since it's a convertible). I think it's still under warranty, and my wife is contacting a dealership today to look at it. If it does end up needing a new electronic steering lock or electronic ignition switch, any idea of roughly what that might run (if it is out of warranty)? Thanks for your help and advice

It does sound like an issue with the switch itself or possibly a fault with an ecu that is sending false signals needing replaced.If the switch needs replaced there is a chance this may cost around $1000 in some cases or if an ecu is at fault over $2000 in some cases.The steering lock is usually cheaper around $500 to be replaced.

Thanks Pete