gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have an 04 Jetta 1.8 turbo with automatic trans. Where is

Customer Question

I have an 04 Jetta 1.8 turbo with automatic trans. Where is the timing mark on the torque converter for TDC and WHERE can it be seen? I have a Bentley book and a Haynes, but all they show is graphic drawing of the "auto mark window". I was told that window is under the battery box (removed) and still don't see it. I'm stuck to finish the timing belt replacement. If I am off one tooth on the belt, will I bend valves when I start it up?
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

The easiest way to time this is to put the lower cover on, put the vibration damper on, and line up the grooved mark on the INSIDE ridge of the damper to the ARROW on the plastic cover. I put a bit of red paint or crayon on both of them so I can see them from above when turning the engine over by hand when I am done to double check.

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Of course, you should set this up to top dead before you have anything torn apart- so hopefully the cover and the vibration damper are still on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The marks we made on the crank and damper seem off because we may not have been TDC to begin with because they don't line up correctly. So where is that mark on the torque converter so we can start correctly.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Even if the damper has been removed, it will only go on one way, as there is a little bump on the end of the crank pulley that only allows you to line up the damper one way. So the mark on the back of the dapmper (cut groove in the ridge) will always line up with the mark on the plastic cover.

The problem is, if you have removed the belt, you can't turn the crank to top dead, and then turn the cam to get there as well, then install the belt- because this is an interference engine, and trying to turn one or the other by itself will bump the pistons into the valves, keeping you from turning farther. So if you took it off not in top dead, you will need to install the belt AS-IS at least temporarily to turn the engine over, so the crank and cam turn at the same time, with a 2/1 ratio like they should.