gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 2000 glx vr6 2.8L V6 efi with a engine. VIN

Customer Question

I have a 2000 glx vr6 2.8L V6 efi with a blown engine. VIN 3vwte29m7ym139743.
I would like to exchange the engine from a 2000 VW Jetta GL 2.0L I4 MPI VIN: 3vwrc29m6ym101968.
My question is is it possible to drop the 2.0 engine and transmission into the GLX without too much trouble and if so what else will I need from the GL to install into the GLX to make it all work? (IE: Computer, etc) Thanks
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

YOu would have to swap the engine, entire wiring harness back to the ECM, the ECM itself, possibly the cluster. WIth the ECM replacement you are going to have to adapt the immobilizer to it. It's not a home job if you aren't experienced with VWs as there are always things that will come up that are unexpected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks. So it looks like I should find a 2.8 to drop in there. Could you advise me as to which VW's I should look for that would drop right in to replace my engine. Which models and years should I look for to replace my engine. I read that VW engine swaps are common and engines from other models will fit. Which models/years should i be looking for? Anything I should watch out for when selecting a replacement? Thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

There are two basic versions of the VR6- the 12 valve and the 24. You want to replace it with the same as you have, but should be able to pull it from any body style as they are the same. If you are dealing with a junkyard, they have a network that connects all the junkyards, so they could ship it to you from another yard. It's worth it as these engines are guaranteed to be operational, which might not be the case in a U-Pull yard.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to find one from the same year VW or can I expand my search to other years? Which body styles are you referring to?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Any A4 platform from 1999-2001 will have the 12v VR6, so any Jetta, Golf, GTI. In 2002 it upgraded to the 24v