sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I was locked out of my 2000 Jetta 1.9l TDI yesterday :-/ The

Customer Question

Hello. I was locked out of my 2000 Jetta 1.9l TDI yesterday :-/ The key turns both ways but nothing happens. The power lock inside also does not work, on the driver OR passenger side. Doesn't that indicate something electrical? I've already checked all the fuses that are indicated as having something to do with door locks and none of them appear bad. Any thoughts?
Category: VW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You have an electrical and mechanical issue both. The key turning but not locking or unlocking is a linkage issue. There is a rod that goes between the lock cylinder and door latch, this rod is most likely off at one end or the other due to a broken clip and that's why you were unable to open the door with the key.

Did the power locks on both front doors stop working at exactly the same time?

Is there noise from either door when pressing the lock or unlock button?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sound from pushing the buttons. There are power lock buttons on both front doors and neither one does anything or makes a sound and that all went out at the same time HOWEVER the keyed driver's door has been fussy since I bought it; I'd turn the key to the back, it would lock, but then turning the key back far enough to get it out of the lock would unlock the doors again! So I've got that down to a science where I turn it all the way to the front, twice, to unlock all the doors, and then slowly turn it to the back and gently remove the key. So this has been a fussy issue for a year but suddenly, nothing.

The power locks worked correctly and all doors stopped at once?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you try a battery disconnect and see if anything changes with the power lock part of the issue?