Mike, VW Mechanic
Experience:  34 Years of working on vehicle repair & Diagnostics ! ;)
9261905

1996 rialta/transporter 5 cyl gas. crank engine and it fires

Customer Question

1996 rialta/transporter 5 cyl gas. crank engine and it fires up then immediately dies. Had ecu rebuilt installed new injectors,new distributor, new fuel pump relay. Will continue running when squirting fuel into throttle body.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also had fuel pump tested.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise..

Does the vehicle start - and run - as if normal... but for only 2-3 secs ..or so... and do this everytime?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I consider wiring relay to ignition and bypass ecu? How would I do that. If that works would I put a cutt
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi again..

No that wont work Im afraid - why did you have the Ecu work done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but maybe just 1or2 seconds
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Yes that does fit with immobilser troubles... its not switching off so that the engine can stay running..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't think the 1996 had an immobilizer
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

uumm.... it is on the the year change.. what is your key like ? Does it look like a transponder key? and is there an aftermarket immobilser / security system fitted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a 2 sided key with black vw plastic end. No after market system unless winnebago had one .vin # ***** 0702th060755
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Ok...so no flashing LED on the security system when you crank the engine no?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Also - I asked before.. why was the ECU rebuilt ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure where I would find that.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Ok... what about the ECU?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was told by previous owner that ecu was bad and I bought it as is. I have spent close to 4000 dollars and gone through 3 mechanics. That ecu is not available. I have friend in Germany looking but no success
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Ok right - lets go back then.. The problem, this problem you have - has been going on for a while yes?

Too - you have had the Ecu rebuilt to cure this issue yes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Previous owner had this happen to him about three years ago. Found an ecu (used) and it ran for about six months. I bought with the problem assuming I could find a new ecu. Year and a half latter and totally out of money I think I may have to salvage it. Seems ridiculous but I am at a dead end
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sent ecu to two different repair facilities. Last one said they thoroughly checked it said if it doesn't work they would refund me the repair. Last mechanic spent 14 hours on it and charged for new distributor! $1000 later and it still does the same thing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
last Mechanic said it ran good when manually put fuel in it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to go to work and won't be able respond further for about three hours
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Right ok... so .. the base problem seems to be lack of fuel ....if it runs with fuel with a gravity feed or however he did it ( or it runs for example even with Easy Start spray up the air cleaner - then the Ecu is ok..to run it... The Ecu should operate the Main relay and the Fuel pump relay - you now then I would say, need to be checking those circuits...

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Ok - I understand you need to go to work.. can I ask you to click on the OK / exc ratings then at this point then I can hold on to your question and we can carry on later when you are free..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am back.Where are these relays and can I wire them directly to the ignition or what? Are these relays in the cab? Can I hot wire them and bypass ecu. I hear that there are other rialtas not running. I hope we can solve this mystery and help this group out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe that a signal is being sent to relays that stops fuel pump
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

HI again... Im sorry, I lost your question for a time there...

I will give you an image - attached..click to open - that shows the relays...positions.. The main relay -and the fuel pump relay. VW etc are know for putting these relays in slightly differing locations ! but this should give you an idea.

These relays on these models are known for failing -- it would be worth having a word with the local dealer parts dept with a view to replacing them...too - with a view to the exact positions. I dont know though how you are with testing the circuits - that does need doing to see if the relays are actually being powered etc.

You cannot "bypass " the Ecu - the ecu must control these relays for proper operation but you can test the circuits -and run test wires for test purposes.....

Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..

~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now at this point- Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .

.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --

Best Rgds, MIKE