Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw/ audi specialist
84635724

My check engine light came on in the 2009 jetta TDI.

Customer Question

My check engine light came on in the 2009 jetta TDI. Mechanic said the code was for a diesel particulate filter and he recommended taking the car to a diesel mechanic. When I got the car back, the light was off. I took it to Volkswagen and they said if the light went off, its safe to drive, if it comes back on, bring it in. The light came back on 1 day later, but performance seems normal. What should I do?
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it safe to drive?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Kevin sorry for the delay I would recommend you get this checked by someone with understanding of the dpf system. The dpf collects ash emitted by engine and stores it up until the car is on the freeway and then cleans ash from dpf by a mixture of system procedures there are many things that can go wrong most are simple pressure sensor or temperature faults but sometimes dependent on usage of car and service history the car can block the dpf filter up .the dpf filters are cleanable but in most cases if it blocks this can result in replacement being needed and they are very expensive so it's always best to have system checked sooner rather than later . Hope this helps please let me know if you need to know anything else at all

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Also I wouldn't drive any further than is necessary in case blockage is occurring

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my service and if you need anything else at all I'm here to help