gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 2009 Routan that just shuts down while driving out

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Routan that just shuts down while driving out of my neighborhood (or within minutes of starting the car and driving at low speeds). When it happens my steering wheel locks up, the ESP light comes on and the car coasts to a stop; all the while the accessory panel stays on. we have had 3 different mechanics look at it over the past year, it seems to not be throwing any codes presently, it is at a vw dealership as we speak. we did have the recall work done on the ignition switch recently as that has been the consensus, but obviously still having an issue.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

When you say the wheel "locks up", could you clarify? WHen the engine is not running, you will not have power steering, so it will get stiff- but should only engage the park lock if it loses signal from the ignition switch. Make sure it is actually "locked" and not just hard to turn due to loss of power steering.