Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Wondering where I should start in trouble shooting a cooling

Customer Question

Wondering where I should start in trouble shooting a cooling issue with my 03 VR6
Category: VW
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

so,you are saying now,the cooling fans dont come on at all?

when does it get hot?city or hwy?

tell me all you can

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
City and highway... If i let it idle in my driveway, it will be warmer than normal but won't overheat.

does the cooling fan come on at all when you let it sit and idle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It starts to overheat within 15 minutes of driving in traffic. They do not come on under any circumstances, not even when i turn on the A/C. My understanding is one or both should come on when I turn the AC switch on. Seems based on reading that they are related (A/C compressor not working, fans not running).

ok,,it also gets hot on the freeway?

have you checked all fuses?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All fuses are good. I checked the associated fuses in the interior, as well as the ones located by the battery. I'm a bit more advanced than your average...

ok.

i would think that sense the fans do not come on,,the problem is the fan control module

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b31kkaccby552l7/0922-vw-vr6-Thermostat%20Location.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/b31kkaccby552l7/0922-vw-vr6-Thermostat%20Location.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I have allocated a budget of $500 for self repair. I think I would like to replace that module, along with the ECT, radiator temp sensor and the sensor/s associated with the AC. Where would you suggest I look for these items? Manufacturer or local parts stores?

your local parts store would be within your budget

thanks

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang Master VW Tech here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

on the radiator drivers side there is a 3 wire switch please check at the switch that you have 12 volts at 2 of the 3 wires and check also on top of your battery fuse box that there is no meltdowm of any of the fuse box and the 3 green fuses pull them out and see if there is any black markings on the blades of the fuses please!! if so please replace the fuse and then recheck

thanks

.