Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

I am getting an engine code P2237 and having a lot of smoke

Customer Question

I am getting an engine code P2237 and having a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust. I am in need of getting my glow plugs replaced as well.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

what color is the smoke ?

please let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The smoke is white and smells sweet, I recently had Work done to the EGR when I was having the same issue.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

is there coolant loss from the bottle ? white smoke means burning coolant. there is 3 possibilities , the egr cooler, the turbo , engine issue ( head gasket, cylinder head cracked, block cracked)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is loss, but no foaming in the bottle or the oil.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

the p2237 is an oxygen sensor fault that can be caused by the coolant contaminating the sensor so the source of the leak needs to be found to correct it before replacing the sensor.

i would start by bypassing the egr cooler hoses and eliminating that first to make sure that you do not have a defective cooler.