Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical
47606789

I have vw Jetta 2005 2.5 engine. One day just didn't start.

Customer Question

Hello. I have vw Jetta 2005 2.5 engine. One day just didn't start. It did crank, the belt on alternator was turning over. After few more times trying to start it, it stop turning over at all.. First I decide it's a battery, I did put new one, but it didn't help. I did check check engine light, it says crankshaft position. I did replace the sensor, but It didn't help. I did install new starter yesterday, but car still didn't crank. It sounds like starter is trying turn but it locked. My friend told me that the engine is locked. Is there any way, how to check it? I was trying to turn it just by hand, without ranch or something, it didn't help. Do you have any ideas what it could be? Or how to turn the engine by ranch to figure out, is it locked or not.. Thank you!
Category: VW
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

This seems as thou your cars cambelt teeth is striped and is no longer turning the camshaft. To repair this you will have to remove the cylinderhead and repair the damaged valves as they would have hit the pistons which is causing the lock-up that you are experiencing at the moment. To test this you can use a wrench and socket (19 mm) place it on the crank shaft pulley. Try to turn the engine by hand. If you can not turn the engine all the way round the valves are coliding with the pistons.

This should answer your question but if you need more information do not hesitate to ask.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But what about timing chain? Do I have to replace it to? If so, I've heard that for replacing timing chain I have to remove an engine from the car. Thank you
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Your car does not have a timing chain. It has a rubber belt driving the camshaft

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But on the web and everybody saying that there is a timing chain. It has metal cover. Do I need to remove an engine To replace it? Thank you
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Oops I made a mistake thinking that your car was a 2.0 l and not a 2.5 l

Yes your car does have a chain and you will have to remove the engine to repair this problem.

greetings,

Martin.