Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

I have a 2 year old VW GTI. Both of the rear rotors have

Customer Question

I have a 2 year old VW GTI. Both of the rear rotors have deep ridges in them. The first time I brought the car in for it's 10,000 mile service, I mentioned to the service people that when I backed down my driveway, there is a grinding sound. They said it was normal. The front rotors are real smooth. Even though the car is just over 2 years old, it only has 12,000 miles. Does this sound (or look) normal to you? Thanks, Tom
Category: VW
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
No, that is not normal. Ridges in the rotors are caused by either brake pads with defects in their surface or foreign debris between the pad and rotor - this is usually seen on vehicles in rural areas that drive on dirt and gravel roads. I have never seen foreign debris between pads and rotors on vehicles that are driven 100% of the time on paved roads.
The pads will also have ridges on them that correspond to the ones on the rotor and both need to be replaced.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks