peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

My car is not seeing my Fob. I just bought a used 2014 VW

Customer Question

My car is not seeing my Fob. I just bought a used 2014 VW Passat. The heater is not working. That is the other problem I have with it. The one I am needing help with is I pulled out the fuses to check them to see if something there may be the reason the heat is not working. They were all good, but after that the keyless start button would not work. I call the VW dealer and they told me to hold the fob up to the steering column to cranked it.
Now when I start to get in the car. The car will not see me and let me in. I cannot lock the doors by rubbing the door handle too. I have to hold the fob next to the steering column each time to start the car. I am able to lock and unlock the doors with my fob. Can you help me to reprogram my car so it will see my keys.
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing that needs done here is to make sure when you removed fuses and reinstalled them make sure you reinstalled all fuses to the proper locations.I have seen before where a fuse is put in the incorrect location causing this issue here.If this is checked and found to be o.k. and is not the cause here let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did it one at a time. They are all in the right spot and are good.

O.k.,the dealer did tell you the correct way to relearn this but in this case it did not relearn properly or at all.What will cause this here is if a fault code is set related to the issue here.Most likely a code set in the keyless start system disabling this feature until either the code is cleared out with a diagnostic scan tool or dealers computer or the code is diagnosed,repaired then cleared out.The access start control module is the component that receives the keys signal and it most likely has a code set (this will not cause a warning light to turn on in the vehicle to let you know this) and this code needs cleared out.Once this is done then the relearn can be done again.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are telling me this is something I can not fix?

I apologize for the delay.

If you have a scan tool that will plug into your vehicle and read all computers you can check and see if any codes are set then from there it can be diagnosed and repaired or the codes cleared out to see if the vehicle then operates properly.If you do not have this tool to check codes this will need done by someone that does have this tool or a shop or dealer unfortunately.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You did good. I was wrong. I was a fuse. I got it fix. Thanks for your help.

Your welcome.Glad to hear it has been resolved.If you need anything else let me know and feel free to rate my help if you like.

Thanks Pete