Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw/ audi specialist
84635724

I have a manual '98 VW golf GTI. it has been sitting 3

Customer Question

I have a manual '98 VW golf GTI. it has been sitting for about 3 months, just got her running again, however, I CAN shift through the gears when the engine is off, but NOT when it is running.
Category: VW
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Kevin it sounds as if the clutch isn't clearing giving you the temporary neutral you need to select gear if you put car in gear and start the car with foot on clutch what happens ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
clean start without gear interference. now it seems to be driving normally. I think it was just tight from 3-4 months of not driving. seems alright now.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

It was probably the clutch friction plate had got stuck to flywheel and starting in gear forces to release glad your sorted if you every need anything else come back to me and please remember to rate my service