gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 1999 VW New Beetle 2.0 that is giving me several

Customer Question

Hey, my name is***** have a 1999 VW New Beetle 2.0 that is giving me several codes. Engine is clearly missing - the Spark plug coil was replaced last year and is still under warranty. However when my car is up to speed the transmission has problems and a thin smoke that smells of burning plastic/chemicals comes from within the center console somehow. I removed the cover to pinpoint the source with no success. One of the codes I'm having is P1626 - which from what I've read has to do with the chassis control box located under the passenger side floor. After driving through semi-flooded conditions, do you think that there could have been a wire in the control box that is shorting out and causing the smoke?
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

On the NB the TCM is not under the carpet- only on the Passat. Yours is under that massive dashboard area. Are you getting misfire codes in the ECM?