gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have 2005 jETTA 2.5 THAT TRIES TO START BUT WILL NOT IT

Customer Question

I have 2005 jETTA 2.5 THAT TRIES TO START BUT WILL NOT IT STALLS OUT.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Does it start fully, then shut off? Is there a symbol on the dash with an outline of a car with a key in it? Did this just happen, or has your check engine light been on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It fires up for about 2 seconds then dies. When I put the key in the key in car symbol does appear. The check engine light has been on since a month after i bought it over 3yrs ago. Over a week ago the car lost alot of power and had a hard time climbing hills. I was trying trouble shoot what was causing this and was inspecting the fuses in the car and under the hood. The next morning I woke up and it started the not starting. Even though I had rough idling and power loss prior I had no problem starting the car. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

It could be any number of things, but since it does start before dying, and since you have had a prior check engine light, I am thinking you are having issues with the high pressure pump. The only way to know for sure is to start off reading your fault codes, which should give you some direction to go. If it seems to be fuel related, you are going to want to check fuel delivery pressure from the in-tank pump, and then remove the high pressure pump and check for damage to the cam follower and the camshaft.