gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Car is a 2001 golf GLS 1.8T. I tried starting the car with

Customer Question

Car is a 2001 golf GLS 1.8T. I tried starting the car with the battery unhooked.Obviously I forgot that it was unhooked,but when I tried to start it again with the battery hooked up.Nothing,it doesn't even turn over, but all the lights in the dash are on, even when I take the key out of the ignition the lights in the dash stay on, like the car thinks the key is in the ignition. Also the car has a 93 octane tune from APR. Please help!!!
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Was this a sudden occurence? I would inspect the wiring at the ignition switch, with the telescoping wheel they will crack and break there. If nothing, I would replace the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It wasn't the switch. It was the lock cylinder housing the piece that fits into the ignition switch broke off
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Not a very common occurence (my 93 European broke one) but I suppose they are getting up there in age.