vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

I own a new beetle 2004 and about two months ago we had to

Customer Question

Hi! I own a new beetle 2004 and about two months ago we had to have the body valve replaced because the transmission would jerk between 3rd and 4th gear. After the repair, the car ran fine. We drove it all the way from montreal to florida without a glitch. We used it three weeks in florida for our vacation and again, no problem. Then, we left the car stored in our garage in florida and flew home. Ijust went back to florida this morning and when i used the car, i was able to put it in reverse, but then when i put it on drive, it went straight to third gear and stays in 3 rd gear. It wońt go down or up to any other gear.....? Can you help.?
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read on forums that we need to reset the transmission controller in the computer?? Does that make sense ? If so, where is the computer and how do i reset it? Or do you think it is something else?
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.

Does the prindle display showing the gears light up solid ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the lights on prindle display light up solid
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.

Ok this indicates that you car trouble codes stored in the Trans control module . At times you will need a reset which is basic settings for the teams module but you may also have a issue again since you have trouble codes stored in the module. The next step you will need to take is to have the trouble codes check with a capable of scan tool . The cold will tell you if you have further issues. I hope this helps please do not forget to provide positive feedback for the help provided we as experts rely on this for our family thank you