Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I just replaced my timing belt tensioner and bumped the

Customer Question

Hi. I just replaced my timing belt tensioner and bumped the intermediate shaft sprocket when I was replacing the belt. I have now adjusted it so that my distributor rotor is at TDC 1, double-checked that my crankshaft is at TDC 1 and my camshaft sprocket still points to the TDC 1 mark on the baffle/cover. Only now the marks I made on my intermediate and crankshaft sprockets do not align. Should I realign those marks by moving the intermediate sprocket and un-aligning my distributor, or go with everything the way it is now? Or do I need to disassemble to check my timing now? Super newbie, need help!
My engine is a MK III VW Golf, 1998.
Category: VW
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

1.9 or 2.0?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2.0

i cant tell what you have in the picture,,but

i can give you instructions on installing the belt,,will that work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know what to do if I've messed up installing the timing belt. The pic is how far apart the marks I made on my crankshaft and intermediate shaft are now, with all components separately at TDC. Those marks used to line up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to disassemble and check my timing internally, should I leave it? Can I install without fear of destroying my engine and adjust as needed later with a timing gun?

you can start from scratch on replacing the belt

i can give you instructions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which means what?

remove the belt and align the marks correctly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Go ahead and send instructions and I will see if they answer my qu
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
question

ok...you was wanting nto know how to time it ,,right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with the timing belt removed. I messed up the timing when replacing the belt. I now have everything timed the way it is supposed to be, but the original marks I made don't line up. I need to know how to put it back together without destroying my engine.

ok,,i will give you instructions on replacing belt

stand by

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqkb3byvzq09bep/0908-vw-Drive%20belt.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/oqkb3byvzq09bep/0908-vw-Drive%20belt.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to call it a night yesterday, I will do my best to finish today and rate you.

ok

thanks