Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

I have a 2002 VW Cabrio, 2.0 engine The engine runs ok

Customer Question

Hi Tim, I have a 2002 VW Cabrio, 2.0 engine The engine runs ok for 2 minutes at 2500 rpm and stall. I change already fuel pump, throttle body, fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, and air flow meter, no change. Help is appreciated.
Category: VW
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet.
Is the check engine light on and if so what are the exact fault code numbers
Does it matter if the engine is cold or warm
and have you checked for restriction in catalytic converter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,
Thank you for your answer.
Yes it gave me 2 codes: P0121 and P0103, that's way I change the flow meter and the throttle body.
No It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or warm, but I did notice that the engine gets very hot.
I did not check the catalytic converter, how I do that?
Your help is really appreciate.
Hugo
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Best way is to disconnect the the exhaust before the converter and see if power is restored, but this can be a bit of a pain if the bolts are heat corroded. So, the next best is to remove the O2 sensor from the exhaust before the converter. The exhaust has that small hole to escape from which should be enough to see if power is restored and it quits stalling at 2500 rpms. Will be loud, but you will be able to either confirm or eliminate the converter as the cause
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try and let you know.
Any other suggestions?
Thank you
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I have run into the main relay as well as a few ecm getting overheated quickly and shutting down, but not what I would consider common causes. Start with checking the converter and then we will go from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
sounds good
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,
I remove the oxygen sensor over the weekend, the problem is the same, also I notice that when the engine stall it knocks badly.
Any suggestions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,
Any suggestion, I check the fuel pump relay also, working fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, bay the way nobody contact me, still waiting your help, if you can off course