Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

Want to install aWestfalia J345 towing module in a 2013 Golf

Customer Question

Want to install aWestfalia J345 towing module in a 2013 Golf MK6 TDI Highline. Have proper model for the Canadian car.
Need help with connections to fuse panel.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

is your vehicle a manual gearbox or a dsg?

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car is a DSG. These models win towing awards in Europe are rated for as much as 1600Kg (with brakes) but in North America VW manuals say not to tow or don't offer the proper towing options packages as manufactured by Westfalia. In Europe the cars even come with the rear bumper spoiler with the removable panel to insert /detach the tow bar gooseneck ball fitting. The tow bar is mounted in place of the rear crash bumper and metal bars extend inside the box channel frames and is bolted on at this location using manufacturers predrilled holes. The tow bar was modified to accept safety chains.
The J345 tow Electronic Control Module mounted in the rear contains a robust harness. Just not sure where all of the wiring goes up front. I also realize that once this is connected the ECM has to be programmed. Right now it is the wiring that is holding us up. I am having the owner of a local shop help but the VW dealership is not helpful. Explicit detail on where each wire goes is what we need. If you can provide this fine, if not then I need another source. Hope you can help. This is not the typical splicing job done in NA using the crappy hitches made sold here. Cheers ***** ***** the best on this.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok do you have the westfailia part # ***** the package that you have ? i may be able to get the install directions for the wiring harness

also i do need a vin # ***** the vehicle

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Westfalia Volkswagen Golf VI Dedicated Electrics: 7 Pin All Models Sep 2008 on part # ***** (+£105.00)
(This from the supplier PF Jones in the UK invoice)
The VIN for the car is:
WVWDM7AJ6DW119924
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get the information you requested regarding the Westfalia part # ***** VIN?
Trying to work from a phone, less than ideal. Please let me know. I can resend.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok got it let me get that info!!! may take a few...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks Wolfgang. There are many colour coded wires that have to go to several different modules I think.
Need to know where and how.
I'd pay extra for this one. Good luck to you.
Cheers,
Owen
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

owen can you provide a pics of the module and the connector view please especially the stickers on the module if any

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Wolfgang. I can send detailed photos of the J345 tow module and wiring harness connections.
This will be tomorrow. Wife's birthday today (bought a tow bar for her new trailer) and although at work now the rest of the day is hers from 3:00 pm onwards.
Did you want to provide me with an email address to send photos?
Thanks again,
Owen
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

just post the pics here .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
photos as requested - for 7 pin trailer socket -
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

one last thing i need the connector view!

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Wolfgang, assuming your are looking for the trailer connection details I am forwarding along a an Excel spreadsheet containing two worksheets that should be of help.
If you still require a picture please let me know.
Cheerios,
Owen
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

of the module i need the pic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached are image 3266 and 3267 which are photographs of the Westfalia trailer socket at vehicle.
The previously sent images numbered 3250, 3252, 3255 detail the J345 Westfailia/VW trailer control module and image 3256 shows the 12 and 16 pin connectors with wiring harness that attaches to the side of the J345.
Thanks again and good night
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am assuming wires must go to a module located below the battery and some even to a module near the steering wheel mounted air bag???????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and one last thing before I go to bed is a copy of the installation manual.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

great that is what i need !!! i will get back with you on this!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Happy reading ......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I also have a subscription to All Data DIY so I can print off any manuals that might help to clarify any information you pass on to me. As a rule I don't normally tinker with this car.
An automotive tech I'm not.
A lab tech I am.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

did you check on the drivers rear to see if you have the red connector that will plug in to the module . trim needs to be removed to inspect

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the red connector do you mean the one on the photo image 3256?
This is an integral part of the supplied wiring harness that came with the Westfalia kit.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

there is no 3256 . if you are referring to 3266 that is not the connector. the connector may be built with the vehicle's wiring harness when the car was built. so the drivers rear panel needs to be removed in order to see the connector

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to wait until after work to check this. I did remove some rear panels to remove the tail lights and bumper fascia body panels for initial fitting of the tow bar.
The only red connector I am familiar with at this point is the 12 pin with 7 actual wired conductors that plugs directly into the J345. This was sent as image IMG_3256.JPG.
I will look for another this evening and get back to you.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

do not have that pic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The image should have been included with the first group of 12 images I sent last evening. I'll try to access the image stored on my phone and forward. If this does not work I need to resend from a desktop at home later this evening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, home and suppered.
I'll try the photo showing the red connector with the black again.
Also included is a Windows snip of the first 12 images i attempted to send last evening.
Not sure what comes up on your end or what you actually received or have access to.
Cheers,
Owen
ps this is pretty cool way to communicate though................
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok got it!!