Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

I have a 2012 Volkswagen Passat. Battery light came on.

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Volkswagen Passat. Battery light came on. Bought new battery didn't fix changed alternator didn't fix. Checked all fuses and connections cant find a issue. What am I doing wrong
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

if you look closely there is a fuse assembly look at the pic with the alternator overcharging causes the fuse assy to blow . this is a dealer item only

the best way is to check this is to take resistance reading of the alternator fuse if open you will need the fuse pack

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

So please rate me above!!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which one is the alternator fuse? I opened the block and everything looks normal. nothing fried or discolored
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://www.expressoemparts.com/volkswagen/passat/5c0937629b/2012-year/s-trim/2-5l-l5-gas-engine/electrical-cat/fuse-and-relay-scat/?part_name=main-fuse
im guessing this is what might be wrong?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it is that. One of the flat pieces where the bolt goes on to hold it down looks a little black around the edges. How do I get it out of there to replace? Can I test it before I remove it? what should the meter read if its ok or not>? thanks
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

it is one piece with a couple of fuses. you have to unbolt the cables and the fuse block then with your meter set it on ohms and should be less than 1 ohm

when you measure at each end of the fuse

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
turns out the new alternator was bad
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

great news !!

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

So please rate me above!!!!

Thanks

Wolfgang