gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 01 beetle with the rad fans not working. I have

Customer Question

I have a 01 beetle with the rad fans not working. I have already pulled the, FCM and ordered a replacement but should have checked the thermo switch first. My question is, do I have to drain the rad to replace the thermo switch if it is bad? I haven't checked it yet. I started with fuses and underhood fuse block they look good. Also does the FCM need to be bolted in to function? Can I test the thermo switch with it out? PITA to get out.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

First, make sure that ALL of the fuses in the block on top of the battery are OK- pull out the green 30a fuses and check them, they will often melt down without blowing. Check the cable from the positive to the fuse block to see if the copper looks dark and heated or if the insulation is melted looking.

If they are OK, then turn on the key (engine does NOT need to be running) and turn on the A/C button. The fans should run anytime the A/C is on.

If the fans turn on, then remove the small hose from the coolant reservoir, aim it into the top of the reservoir, and rev the engine up to about 2000rpm (best with two people, of course) The coolant flow should be steady, with no spitting and not a lot of excess air. If you get no flow, then chances are your impeller of the water pump is cracked/spinning free.

The coolant temp sensor is actually located in the coolant flange on the end of the head, just above the transmission. It should be a green plastic sensor, 4 pins. If the sensor is black, replace it for sure the black ones went bad all the time. If it is green, unplug it and check the connector for any signs of coolant migration out of the pins in the sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The water pump and TC were changed 4 mos ago. The temp sensor was replaced by me for a green one a year ago. The thermo fan switch I'm talking about is located on the left side of the radiator. The fans do not function at all. I have pulled the fan control module but want to try the thermo fan switch as I can get that part locally. Will I have to drain the radiator to remove that part?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuses looked great and the wires were a little tested but still connected.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried jumping the fans with power, to see if the fan motors are ok? Like I said, radiator temp sensor or not, the fans should operate when the ai/c is on, it's a quick first test. From theRe I would test the fan motors, before going to control sensors. Also, even if the fan control module is bad, if you unplug the power from it and plug it back in, the fans will run for a second.