Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I have a 2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T, and the engine seems t

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T, and the engine seems t o be rattling a lot, mostly when I slow down or come to a stop. I thought it may have needed some oil, so I checked and put in two quarts and that helped. I noticed an immediate improvement. But, a week later, it started up again, and now, when I come to a stop, it might occasionally cut off. I'm not thinking it's a motor oil issue, but not sure what it might be. Any ideas?
Category: VW
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

these engines are very prone to oil pump drive issues so I'd suggest as a next step to measure the oil pressure with a gauge, on a hot engine to see if its within limits

even if its OK it would be wise to drop the sump off and do an inspection of the oil pump drive shaft and chain

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.