Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

My wife broke the plastic part of the key on a 2010 VW

Customer Question

Hi! I'm Erik. My wife broke the plastic part of the key on a 2010 VW Beetle. She could still start the car by turning the key itself with a pair of pliers and molding the remote close. Eventually it quit working and the car security system would not allow the car to run. I have fixed the key by only replacing the plastic part that broke. I still have the original chip and remote. Theoretically it should start and it will bit them it immediately shuts off. How do a reset security lock?
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forget it. I was trying to get running today but I will be out of town tomorrow and unable to try anything anyway
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Erik sorry for the delay , from what you describe , tells me the chip had failed. It would have continued to work just like you thought but the chip may have finally failed. There is no reset procedure , if the chip is working the car will start. The ignition is not seeing the chip. So you will have to purchase a new one from the dealer and have it coded to the car at the dealer. The car will have to be towed there so they could program it. Hope this information helps. Again sorry for the delay. Lou

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok but the last mEssa he I sent was to forget it cause I had waited all day then I actually got car running. So now after all that I get a response. I clearly wrote and said to forget it and don't think I should be charged for anything.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

No worries Erik, you can still get a refund. It's not a issue. Just follow the customer service links. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

no problem man, i just seen your message when i first logged on and tried to help, hopefully you return in the future, request me and ill always respond and do my best to help. Lou

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For sure. Thank you very much for your time.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

no problem sir, we are 100% usable and user friendly :) take care! oh and can you tell me how you took care of it? that way i know?