gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 2007 Volkswagon Jetta 2.5l. The check engine light

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Volkswagon Jetta 2.5l. The check engine light is on and I pulled the codes. There are 3. P0455, P2181, and P0480. What needs to be done to repair and clear the check engine light? Only things I notice with the car is when you turn the car
off and fill up the gas tank and try to start it, it wont start right away. You have to try 3-4 times then it starts and starts everytime until you fill up again. Other thing is when you get out of the car and I turn the car off it sounds like a fan is really
loud. Other than that it drives pretty good.
Category: VW
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

for po455 most likely cause is the purge valve, 2181 is a thermostat and 0480 the large fan needs to be replaced, three separate issues

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok what are the steps and parts numbers to replace these 3?
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

are you asking for step by step directions n how to replace the components?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
part numbers
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to opt out and see if another professional can help you, it is not legal for me to publish repair manual info from the VW server

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

The EVAP purge valve is the P0455 fault and is causing your starting issues- the valve is sticking slightly open, causing fuel vapors to flood into the intake when filling the tank. It is a small black plastic cylinder, with a rubber hose leading out each end, and an electrical connector. It is mounted right along the fuel rail, more toward the passenger side of the engine.

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

The P0480 is related to the fan control module, which is actually part of the larger (main) electric fan. You need to remove the entire fan housing with both fans from the backside of the radiator, and then unbolt and replace the fan. There are 4 10mm bolts holding the housing on, but you will need to wiggle and angle the housing in order to get it out, and it has to come out the bottom, so only if you have the car on a hoist or are able to lift it and have enough clearance to drop it out that way.

The Thermostat is actually replaced as a whole housing now, it is under the intake manifold and relatively difficult to get to unless you can come at it from the bottom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the part number for that larger fan I need to replace?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

You'd be best off talking to a parts counter expert at the dealership- while I install the parts, they look them up for me. And often part numbers get superceded as updates are available.