Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical
47606789

The dash night lights in red won't shutoff. I had to take

Customer Question

The dash night lights in red won't shutoff. I had to take off a battery cable so as not to drain the battery what is the most common cause and correction for this its a 2003 jetta
Category: VW
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

The common fault usually is the headlight switch itself. The contacts inside the switch get out of there holders and then they make contact permanently with the input contact. The only way to repair this will be to replace the switch with a new or good used switch. I hope this answer your question should you what more information please do not hesitate to ask.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can the bad contacts be physically seen OT are they inside the switch how can you test the zwitch
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

No one cannot see the contacts they are inside the switch. The switch can be tested with a multi meter but it will only confirm what the dashboard light are confirming already, the power does not get switch off when the switch is in the off position.

If one unplug the switch from the wiring harness the light should go off.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I swapped the switch with one i know works from my 2000 jetta still same problem so it can't be the switch what next?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

HI,

This means the the dashboard light system which is also working together with the license plate lights are getting power from some where. The fault will not be easy to find now as you will have to dismantel the dash board bit by bit unplugging the wiring from the switches and instrument cluster. one by one to find out where the fault is. Very hard for me to try and describe on how to do this. The fault might be unit which works on the dash board light system.

Greetings,

Martin.