Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.
7276279

I have a 2003 WV Eurovan and the AC has stopped working. The

Customer Question

I have a 2003 WV Eurovan and the AC has stopped working.
The compressor does not engage. There is no power at the compressor. I have checked the fuse and also jumped the pressure switch.
Also can you provide a checklist to try?
Thanks
Category: VW
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
I can provide you with the test steps but before you do any testing the first thing you need to do is to install a set of AC gauges and read the system pressure. Normal pressure on a full system with compressor not running should be right at 100 to 110 PSI on both the low side as well as the high side. Check this for me and post back and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have jumped the pressure switch and it still did not work. I dont remember the pressure but I did check it and it was in that range (90%sure), but again I jumped the low and high pressure and it still did not work.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay well if you are sure the system is full then you are going to need to do some testing, see the test steps in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/AC%20Aug%2029.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ron,

I assume that the pins are label panel/relay, So in your note 1/2 is 1 on the panel and 2 on the relay.

I dont see any voltage at pin#1(label in panel), so where is the thermal cut-out switch?

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The switch is up front of the engine compartment, see the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Thermial%20cur%20out%20switch%20AUg%2029.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I assume it can be jumped to confirm is the issue. Can you provide the pins to jump?

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If the switch is actually at fault you would jump pins 1 and 4 see the factory wiring diagram in the link below.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/AC%20diagram%20Aug%2029.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, not sure I found the correct thermal switch. I have located two. Neither in the front. On on the right side of the radiator (I think that is the cooling fan switch (3 wire and wire colors match). The other near the firewall on the loop to the heater core, 4-wire but has brown, grey colors.

I dont see the on in the front, unless is buried...

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

It should be right where is shown in the diagram I sent you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no wiring harness in the front like that picture. I even removed the top radiator support.

Though not sure it the issue, as tracing your wiring diagram the blue/red should be the voltage side and it also come off the pressure switch (pin 1). There is no power on #1 or #2 of the pressure switch. There is only power on the the blk/ylw (#4).

Where is that power feed from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here is a pic looking at the hood latch, oil fill and drip stick, taken from the rear looking forward, so that is the back of the radiator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I guess I never noticed, but I do see the climatronic display blinking to 1-15sec.. Seems that is error code. I cant seem to enter the diag mode, via the recirculate and econ buttons (holding both for 5 secs)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Found the cut-off, its under the engine in the front.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If the light is flashing then its should be setting a fault code. can you get me the code?