Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

Working on a 93 passat VR6. Fresh trans overhual, new torque

Customer Question

Working on a 93 passat VR6. Fresh trans overhual, new torque converter, new valve body. No leaks at the moment. The issue is 1,2,3 work well. No drive and no reverse. Ideas?
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

do you have VAG COM scan tool with the 2x2 connector to scan for faults?

also if you look at the gear indicator on the dash is the display reverse illuminated?

please let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle is equipped with the 2 x 2 style, but no I do not own a vague Com scan tool. The indicator on the dash indicates the correct gear and the backup lights do illuminate when reverse is selected. I am a seasoned former automotive mechanic of 20 years with a good supply of tools, just not a vag com. I replaced all the pistons, seals and friction when I did the trans overhual. Also threw a new torque converter (stock stall) and a new (reman) valve body. The original issue was it felt stuck in 3rd and would not up or downshift and had no reverse. I installed the same number of frictions in each clutch pack, just new. No check engine light yet, no freeze frame data. A theory is to check continuity through the trans harness for the valve body, or adjust the manual valve for more pressure, decisions decisions!
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

a scan test is needed to see what and if any faults are stored . now did you inspect the foil strip from the plug to the point where the foil goes in the trans . that deterioates and causes issues that is why the scan test is needed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm having a hard time believing that one. If I said I had a knock sensor issue on a mid 90's 4 runner with a 3.0 v6 then yes. We are talking about a 93 vw, foil?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

yes foil!!! here is a pic of it !!! VW calls it a foil strip!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I visually inspected that and couldn't find any issue as far as breaks or damage. Is there a resistance chart to observe what the resistance through the harness should be? Where does the foil on that ribbon cable begin and end?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tomorrow I will run it to a buddy's shop and try to retrieve codes.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

let me get that specs for you

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7vkjtwhdci1mr8f/tr_096_over.pdf?dl=0

go to the above link to get the specs and its located in the middle of the pdf