sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My 1996 Passat cooling fan only works at gh speed ac 't work

Customer Question

my 1996 Passat cooling fan only works at high speed ac don't work car don't over heating could it be bad fan motor
Category: VW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the cooling fan doesn't come on at low speeds or stops then the a/c will blow warm at those times, but the a/c would still work correctly while driving.
The fan not working on low speed could definitely be the fan motor and if testing was done correctly then it does need a motor. You mentioned finding voltage was ok. If by that you meant there is power and ground at the fan motor when the low speed fan should be running but is not then that does indicate a failed fan motor. If you just meant you checked power at the fuses or relays then what would need to be done is test for power and ground at the motor at the time it should be running, if ok then the motor can be condemned.