gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 2003 VW Jetta Sportwagen with the 2.0 engine. At

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2003 VW Jetta Sportwagen with the 2.0 engine. At highway speed, it has times of belching a lot of smoke. It goes away then does it again after a while. When it happens, I lose some power. I am losing oil this way. The car only has 109K miles on it. Can you help me with diagnosis? Brian
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

There is a PCV- it is located right on the front of the valve cover/top of head area, with a couple hoses coming off it. With the engine running, see if it is hard to remove the oil cap, and if the idle gets weird after you remove the oil cap

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it does not get weird with the oil cap off. No smoke either.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wonder why Advance Auto says there is no pcv valve.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Do you see the PCV I am talking about?

Should look like this-

http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/406731_x800.jpg

Though usually if it is bad, it will give you a rough idle.

You may also want to inspect the turbo bypass valve underneath on the passenger side, remove it from the pipe and see if it falls apart when you take it out, or has a tear in the diaphragm. There is an updated part that uses a sliding piston instead of a diaphragm seal.

DO you have any faults, check engine light on? Any whistling or "whizzing" when stepping down hard to spool up the turbo?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I don't believe it has a turbo. No check engine light. Runs good at idle and slower speeds. Big smoke episodes about every 20 miles at 65-70 mph. I will look for the pcv valve you pictured.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Most Sportwagens have the TDI engine, but if it has a 2.0, then it is the 2.0T.