Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.
7276279

My 2011 vw Jetta tdi is throwing trouble code p0401 Which is

Customer Question

My 2011 vw Jetta tdi is throwing trouble code p0401 Which is egr "A" flow insufficient detected. The dealership told me it could cost 5000 to fix. Please tell me there is something else to try before? Egr delete?
Category: VW
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The code P0401 is a common code to set on your TDI and VW has released a TSB that calls for reprogramming the PCM (computer) because this codes is usually a false code. There is no way this repair and programming should cost you$5000 to resolve. Usually reprogramming the PCM resolves this and you only looking at the programming price which usually runs an hour to two in labor depending on market pricing in your area. I would start with the programming first. I have enclosed the TSB in the link below as it likely applies. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/EGR%20Aug%2020.pdf