Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

The door of my husbands jetta swung closed while I was

Customer Question

The door of my husbands jetta swung closed while I was taking a photo. The keys were on the seat and the car "locked itself". We live 2 hours for any city. Anyway to open the door without damaging the car?
Category: VW
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

The way into that car is to carefully pry open the top of the door frame enough to allow a rod down in there. The rod needs a 90 degree bend in it so you can use it to push the door unlock button. Pros have tools to wedge the door frame and a special rod but two people working together can do this if you can find a stiff enough rod like an old car antenna. A coat hanger is too flimsy in most cases to push the button. You only need the frame out about 1/4 ".