gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

My 2003 cabrio wouldnt pass inspection, the check engine

Customer Question

my 2003 cabrio wouldnt pass inspection, the check engine light kept coming on. took it the dealership and they said it was the O2 sensors and wanted $1000 to fix it. well my husband and his friend did it for $200 and the reset whatever they had to and as soon as my husband drove about a mile the light came on again. so they reset again and the same thing but the car was running just fine. then the next day we went to start it and NOTHING happened. my husband has since passed away and I dont know what to do with the car or where to take it. something similar happened to our mustang and it turned out to be an alarm system that shut the car down and we didnt even know it had an alarm
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

I'd like to know what specific faults the system had in it, VWs don't often have O2 sensor problems, and when they do it is usually the heater. More often, O2 faults are caused as a result or some other issue, such as msifiring sooting up the sensor.

When you try to start it, does the Check Engine light come on and then go off when you turn the key to the on position (self check)? And does it do anything when turned to "start", do you even get a "click" from the engine compartment? You are sure the battery is charged?