Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

2001 VW Passat 2.0 GLS Every I slightly touch my brake pedal

Customer Question

2001 VW Passat 2.0 GLS
Every I slightly touch my brake pedal it blows the fuse for the brake lights. I have replaced the brake light switch twice, replaced all light bulbs twice, all fuses twice. I have disconnected the taillight panels and it still did it. If I disconnect the brake light switch. Obviously it doesn't occur. I am currently checking the power outlet mounted in the trunk, but I am not sure it is even connected to the same fuse at this point. I am also considering opening up the cruise control to see if there is a short in it. However, it doesn't matter if the cruise is turned on or off at this point. It still does it. I am also going to check the back left marker light to see if it happens when that is unplugged. Recently I have noticed water in that side back pocket of the trunk. Can you think of anything I should focus on?
Category: VW
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

A short will be the hardest thing for us to help you find. But with the presence of water , that is a great place to start. Follow the water and look for corroded wiring , if you disconnect all the brake lights and the third light and it still blows then the issue is limited to the body wiring from the switch to the modules under the dash and also from the module to the light assemblies. Hope this information helps. Lou. Also if I find any common issue I will return and let you know. Lou