gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 95 VW jetta 2.0 and I am getting a Code error g40

Customer Question

hey I have a 95 VW jetta 2.0 and I am getting a Code error for a g40 and G28 error, replaced the MAF, and am still having an issue with accelaration from first to 3rd gear, after third it smooths out... which would cause this error... I do have access to VAG.com
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Well, the G28 is the crank speed sensor- I would start off checking your timing, making sure you use the mark on the transmission end of the crank (pressure plate or flywheel) instead of the vibration damper.

If the G28 is actually bad, it won't even start- so I think you have a timing slightly off, maybe even just the distributor, which can be adjusted very slightly by loosening the nut holding it down and twisting the body of the distributor slightly oen way or the other, the rotor should occur just a hair before the mark when the engine is at TDC