Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.
7276279

I have an 83 rabbit convertible with a 1.6 gas motor. Fuel

Customer Question

I have an 83 rabbit convertible with a 1.6 gas motor. Fuel pump works when jumped directly at battery, but won't kick in when installed normally. Fuel pump relay clicks when turning key. Last time the pump turned on it was hot to touch, what could be my issue. Wiring I would guess?
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just noticed today that the 15 amp fuse for fuel pump was blown, replaced it and it started and ran for a few minutes then died. Fuse blew again. Put a 20 amp fuse in and she started and ran. Thoughts?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If the relay is clicking then its likely working and if you are blowing the fuse and the pump is hot to touch its very likely drawing to many amp. Try disconnecting the pump and see if the fuse holds. If it does then you likely need a new pump.