chris
chris, Expert VW technician
Experience:  Almost 10 years experiance, top technician western region, Team leader
31662608

My 09 CC coolant fan (small fan) won't shut off. Will wear

Customer Question

My 09 CC coolant fan (small fan) won't shut off. Will wear out battery.
Category: VW
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

this is usually a problem with the large fan, because the large fan has the fan control module built into it, do you have a scan tool to check for faults?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a scan tool, but this is only regarding the small fan. I can say I did add Freon to the AC recently and may have over pressurized that. However, I had the excess removed and no change to small fan running. thinking it could be the relay switch, which I need to find. Have schematics and will check shortly. Not sure how to determine if this part is bad or not as know when I pull it the fan should stop. Not sure where small fan module is located either. Would replacing fan be best?
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

that is what I am saying the large fan is the thing that turns on the small fan so if the small fan is running then the problem is in the large fan, the large fan is the relay for it,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now I do understand. Do not have scan tool though. Would auto parts store be able to scan?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or would it be best to replace the fans altogether?
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

The scan tool at the auto parts store sometimes do not read all the codes that are stored you can try it, I would replace both of them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably best, ***** *****
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

no problem