gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 2002 vw passat. Key fob will not unlock any door.

Customer Question

I have a 2002 vw passat. Key fob will not unlock any door. It will start the car and lock all doors. When i try to unlock the doors, their is a clicking sound behind the dash and the lights blink. Key in lock cylinder will unlock drivers door only. Will lock all doors. Does not shut off alarm. Pulled CCM does not have water damage or corrosion. Checked fuses all appear to be good.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also key will roll windows up, but not down. Tried to reprogram key fob, without any luck. Scanned obd codes, got a p0688. Don't have access to vag com.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Try a capacitive discharge- disconnect both battery cables, and touch the cable ends together to dispel any stored electrical memory in all the modules. I have seen where these type of symptoms appear in the comfort module, and this clears them up. I wouldn't trust the module if this clears it up though, I would replace it. If the lights blink that would appear that the module is sending the signal.

Have you tried turning the key in the door two times (or more)? And you are saying holding the key in the door to unlock rolls the windows down, but holding it to lock does not roll the windows back up?

Were you programming the remotes with two keys?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I use the key to unlock the door, it only unlocks the drivers door. If I turn it twice, three times or more it only unlocks the drivers door. If i turn it and hold it, it does nothing. The key will lock all doors and roll windows up.
Unhooking the battery and touching the cables together (holding for a minute) does nothing.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

You may have a couple issues- if you had a scan tool you could watch to see if the signal from the door latch is showing up in the comfort module.

It sounds like either the latch may not be sending the signal to the module to unlock the other doors (which could be a broken wire in the driver door harness between the door and body) or it could be that the module itself is faulty. I have seen them lock up like this, where they refuse to unlock any other door but the driver.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I replace the door lock module, is it plug and play? Or do I need it to be programed to the ecu/ccm? Are the interchangeable or are they part #specific?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

the door lock you can just replace- the comfort module you would need to program the remotes to it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ordered a door lock actuate. I'll replace that and let you know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once I replace the actuate I will respond back the results. And rate your assistance.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

OK- the system may come back and send you reminders to rate me, please know that it is an automated system and not me pesonally harassing you- you take the time you need and get back to me on your own schedule.