vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

2003 passat 1.8 turbo auto stuck in drive.reverse works but

Customer Question

2003 passat 1.8 turbo auto stuck in drive.reverse works but still in drive at same timr
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Does your PRNDL display on the dash show the correct gear you have selected, or are they all highlighted? You may need to check the TCM box under the passenger side floor to make sure there is not water entry into it- pull the kick panel, and lift the carpet enough to pull out the black plastic box and open it up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are all lit up.even when in park its stuck in drive the tcm is dry though. Not sure if they light up more or not but I see all gears on dash
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Normally the PRNDL display will show the gears in black on a light background, but the selected gear will be highlighted as a light letter surrounded by a dark background. If you have an issue in the system, it will "highlight" all of the gear selections. You will need to have the transmission control module scanned for faults. Many auto parts stores will do scans for free, but many of them have "generic" scanners that will only read the engine, not the transmission or any other modules. You need someone with a factory scan tool, Ross-Tech VAG-COM software, or a good Snap-On or other scan tool that can read all modules. Otherwise, without an obvious issue like water under the carpet, you are just guessing and throwing (expensive) parts at it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It. Wasn't lit up individually I bought a used tcm the drive indicator light began to work correctly. But ASR light came on and it went to that creeper mode. When in reverse it acts like its both in drive and reverse. I put the old one in back to improper light the reverse is same and it will drive without being in creeper but the automatic starts in drive won't go down to one.that's all info I can give.thanks for your time